Thursday, February 3, 2011

MOPS International Email

SOS

By Holly Rowlette

Sometimes it is hard to ask for help, isn’t it? As strong women, we want to be super moms. We want to look like we have it all together and can do it all. Work, volunteer, clean house, cook dinner, organize play dates, manage the house. And when challenges come (sick child, deployment, money gets tight, loss of a job, childcare falls apart) we resist asking for help and even refuse friendly offers. We still want to have it all together and act like we can persevere.

"I’m a mom

and I can’t do it all!"


I learned this lesson a few years ago when a friend offered to watch my kids. I kindly declined. She reminded me that I would be robbing my kids of a fun time with her kids, robbing her of the blessing of helping me and robbing myself of some much-needed down time. And she was exactly right. From that moment on, I have been less fearful of what others will think if I ask for help.
This week, let your friend be the blessing. Let her bring you a meal, watch your kids, drop off some groceries or help you fold laundry. Say it with me … “I’m a mom and I can’t do it all!” Say it again if you need to.
Dear God, teach me to accept help and to be willing to reciprocate as needed. Use me to teach my children about the joys of giving and receiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment