Thursday, February 17, 2011

Powerful MomEMail from MOPS International

Stuck On You
By Meko Kapchinsky, mom of one

About two years ago I managed to give myself five successive concussions over the course of a year and a half. Consequently, between all the medication and head trauma, I had morphed into a drooling (literally), socially inept individual. Hands down, the toughest thing to deal with was my inability to care for my beloved Sophia. My two-year-old daughter couldn’t grasp why Mommy was sleeping the bulk of the day, instead of spending time with her doing crafts, baking, or playing tag. My mom, who cared for Sophia while I mended, tried explaining why I was M.I.A., but to no avail. Sophia desperately wanted to connect with me. I too, mourned the loss of our previous level of interaction, until I figured out that a drooling mom is still a mom.


"I am so thankful

for the lessons it taught me

about cementing the bond

between mother and child."

Working as a team with my husband and mom, I instituted a ritual that allowed Sophia and I to spend quality time together. After my mom and husband fed Sophia dinner and brushed her teeth, they brought her into my bed and we would take silly pictures on my phone camera. In between goofy grins, giggling fits, and sticking out our tongues at the camera, Sophia had a chance to reconnect.

Two years later and concussion free, Sophia and I still take silly pictures together. It’s become “our thing”, our glue as a mother and daughter duo. While that year and a half was tough, I am so thankful for the lessons it taught me about cementing the bond between mother and child.
Dear God, thank you for the bond you’ve created between my child and me. Help me find ways to continue to strengthen it, regardless of my circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment