Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Do you ever get distracted???

A Great, Safe Place to Play

By Rhonda Headley

I’ve recently been babysitting an increasingly mobile seven-month-old who has just mastered sitting up. I thought such a milestone would allow me to snag a minute to myself. With her set up in the middle of the living room, surrounded by her favorite assortment of toys, I’d be free to check out for a few minutes. I carefully placed an array of colorful teething toys, cuddly toys and noise-makers within her arm’s reach for her to explore, make music with or just drool over.


"God gives us

everything we need,

yet we still want

what we shouldn’t."

Great idea right? Wrong! I failed to factor in an infant’s curiosity. It took her no time at all to discover the off-limits zone. She dropped the toys and scooted and rolled her way to the computer desk, the basket of diapers and to the pile of shoes on the floor. While I admired her determination to try out the computer, eat a diaper or gum a boot, I knew I had to redirect her. Calmly, I scooped her up and repositioned her in her circle of toys, praising it as a great, safe place to play for a while. With a grin and a grunt, she was on the move, headed straight for the off-limits zone yet again.

While later telling a friend of the baby’s exploits, she chuckled and remarked, “Well, isn’t that just like human nature? God gives us everything we need, yet we still want what we shouldn’t.” My friend’s observation gave me pause. How often do I get distracted by what’s just beyond my reach? How do I tell the difference between things that are good to strive for and things that will bring me harm? How encouraging to know I’ve got someone looking after me too and gently redirecting me to a great, safe place to play.

Dear God, how often you reveal my own tendencies through the actions of my child! Thank you for your gentle redirection in my life and the great, safe place you’ve prepared for me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment